Leiden is a wonderful city to live in. Everybody has a right to adequate housing , yet finding a suitable house is no longer a certainty. That is why GroenLinks is fighting to ensure everyone can find affordable and energy-efficient homes in green neighbourhoods. To achieve this, we will invest firmly in the construction of new homes and in increasing the suitability of existing homes. GroenLinks believes housing is a human right; and homes should be affordable for students, families and working people.. We are committed to combating speculation and shady practices on the housing market.
- Affordable housing is a fundamental right for everyone. We will continue building more houses, of which40% will be social housing and affordable housing for starters in the housing market. We will make better use of existing living space. We halt market speculation and ensure fairer and more affordable living.
- By 2030 we will have built more than 8.500 affordable houses in Leiden. We will provide sufficient housing for amongst other groups students, young people and people with disabilities.
- All new construction projects will include at least 40% social housing. We would prefer social housing associations to rent these out. To increase the quality of life and social cohesion in neighbourhoods, social housing will be available in all neighbourhoods.
- We entice occupants to move to more affordable and age-fitting residencies. We will build more inviting life-cycle appropriate houses for residents in their own neighbourhoods and offer assistance to enable a smooth transition. This will not only help older citizens find a fitting home but also free up homes for starters in the neighbourhood.
- Student housing is an essential part of Leiden. Subdividing bigger residencies into smaller housing units helps create more affordable living space. Fair and consistent rules and rental permits prevent problems for tenants and inconveniences for the neighbours.
- By limiting long term vacation rental of houses, we ensure homes in Leiden are not permanently unavailable for residents. Moreover, we will tighten the rules for vacation rental and levy a tourist tax. This will ensure citizens of Leiden profit more from short term tourist rental.